Committee Meeting 26 June 2018 MINUTES

Minutes for Committee meeting 26 June 2018 19:00 in the Podium Room

For a downloadable printable pdf version of these minutes use this link: Minutes for CTHG Committee Meeting 26 June 2018 (version 2)

Committee Members:

John Tomlinson (Chairman)
Jane Northcote (Secretary)
Laurance Jones (Treasurer)
Alan Budgen (absent)
Frances Calman
Christopher Gorman-Evans (absent)
Julian Hale
Mike Bristow (absent)

City of London
Barbican Estate Officer:
Luke Barton
Luke.Barton@cityoflondon.gov.uk

1.   Welcome

John Tomlinson opened the meeting at 7pm and welcomed those present.

2.   Apologies for absence

We received apologies for absence from Mike Bristow, Alan Budgen, and Christopher Gorman-Evans.

3.   Minutes of the last committee meeting

The Minutes of the previous Committee Meeting, 5thMarch 2018 were approved by those present. They are to be signed by Christopher Gorman-Evans who was acting Chairman for that meeting.

Matters Arising from previous Committee meeting,  5th March 2018

(for details please see the minutes:Committee Meeting 5th March 2018 MINUTES)

4.   Fire Safety

a) What is the Fire resistance of our front doors? Will our flat front doors, and surrounding area, be replaced or not?

IMG_4620
Front door – tested as resistant for 36 minutes

Our front doors are resistant to 36 minutes. Here is the extract from the Barbican Residential Committee(BRC)Meeting 4thJune 2018 draft minutes:

“Members noted that fire testing of doors had taken place the previous Saturday, attended by some Members and officers, including RCC Members, and the Assistant Director advised that the test had gone well, with a combustion point of 36 minutes. Members also noted that the Fire Risk Assessments had not raised significant concerns on compartmentation.”

Although no final decision has been taken, the most probable outcome as a consequence of this fire resistance is that the front doors will not be replaced.

Luke reported that we are now awaiting an updateon the internal redecoration plan, which was paused awaiting a decision on replacement.

b) Are sprinklers going to be installed in the Tower?

Following discussion at the 4thJune BRC meeting, and the outcome of the Fire Risk Assessments, it is now unlikelythat retrofitting sprinklers will be recommended.

c) Fire Risk Assessment – has it been done for this Tower?

The independent Fire Risk Assessment has been done for the Tower. This was a “Grade 4” assessment where the assessor, Franklins, examined the inside of a selection of flats. The report will be published in July 2018.

Secretary’s note: this Fire Risk Assessment is now on the City of London Website and you can download this pdf via this link: cromwell-tower-FRA-January 2018

5.   Electric Car Charging points

Electric Car Charging points are now installed in various car parks in the Barbican, including three spaces in Cromwell 03 Car Park. The installation was promoted and funded by the City of London Low Emission Zone, who are also paying for the electricity in the short term.

If you would like one of these spaces, please contact the Barbican Estate Office Car Parking Team.

6.   Rubbish in the Car Parks

At the last meeting Luke updated us as below.

‘The cleaners have and should be removing obvious rubbish from the Car Parks regularly. The Estate Services Manager has confirmed that we can start to remove anything from parking bays that should not be there. If youhave anything in your parking bay that is not a car you should be prepared to remove it or it will be cleared away (eg oil cans, trolleys, child seats, scooters, and toys etc). Initially these items will be stickered with a date after which time they willbe disposed of.’

Luke now reports that all items will be removed from the Car Parks after July 9th2018.

7.   Jugged Hare drinkers blocking the pavement

Since the previous meeting, we have had one further instance (23rdMay) of Jugged Hare patrons blocking the pavement. This was resolved by Eddy Williams, the manager.

If anyone sees the pavement blocked, forcing passers-by into the road, please send a photograph, with time and date, to Jane (Jane@JaneNorthcote.com).

8.   Arts Centre events and use of the Beech St Tunnel

There are some more events planned. Christopher Gorman-Evans is representing Cromwell Tower residents at the consultation meetings with the Arts Centre. He has  given them comments on the March 2018 sound and light event. He has also collected and contributed comments, via the Barbican Association, on the Barbican Centre’s “Visitor Plan”. This Visitor Plan covers such points as communication with residents prior to outdoor events, managing noise from events in the Garden Room and Sculpture Court, and rules for coaches and other vehicles associated with the Centre.

There will be future events and consultations:

“The Arts Centre is planning another “Sound Unbound” weekend next year – the Barbican/GSMD/LSO. Most of the events will take place indoors but there will be some outside. The Arts Centre suggests setting up a small working group with residents to ensure that it goes off smoothly. “

“[To introduce] Clarisse Tavin, of the City’s Department of the Built Environment (Culture Mile), because she wants to consult residents about another proposed closure (part closure this time, I think) this summer in order to install an artwork on the panels on the south side of the tunnel. The art work is, I believe, static but installing it will involve closing part of Beech Street and presumably some noise.” (email from Jane Smith, Barbican Association, 19thJune 2018)

9.   Rubbish outside the front door – 01 level – Cromwell Place

In our previous meeting, we asked Luke to investigate how to improve the area outside our main front entrance, where the bins are stored. Luke reports that Paul, our cleaner, has now cleared the ‘alleyway’ between the bin store and our lobby.

Lobby Porters have been asked to prevent people storing supermarket trollies in this area. The cleaners and porters will ensure that doors to the Bin Store are kept closed. The Bin Store floor has also been cleaned.

There remains the problem of cigarette butts being dropped outside the front door.

10.Items left in lift lobbies

Luke has been inspecting balconies and lift lobbies, removing items to ensure that these areas are clear in accordance with Fire Safety advice. He reports that he is now down to floor 14. He is satisfied that people are mostly observing the need to keep lobbies and balconies clear for firefighters, firefighting equipment, and for resident exit routes.

11.DATES

The next Committee Meeting is at on 29thOctober 2018 7pm

The AGM and Christmas Party is on29thNovember 2018 7pm

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

12.Committee Members

The Committee would benefit from additional members, so that the Committee represents more of the Tower, and so that we have sufficient Committee members to represent the Tower on various working parties.

All residents are eligible to serve on the Committee, including City tenants, private tenants, and long leaseholders. Residents who are able and willing to serve on the Committee are encouraged to contact John Tomlinson, john@johnandpaula.com.

Jane Northcote has been the Committee Secretary for three years. She is now looking to hand over to someone else. The Committee thanked her for her contribution. She will hand over the role at the meeting after the next AGM.

13.Bikes on Cromwell Place Fences

There are currently notices on the fence of Cromwell Place asking cyclists not to lock their bikes to the railings. Cycles are increasingly being locked here. Effective immediately, Luke will ask the porters to alert the BEO when bikes are locked to the railings. A BEO staff member will then come with bolt-cutters, remove the bike and take it to a storage location.

The Committee suggested that Luke consider a procedure for informing the bike owner what had happened to their bike.

Christopher is in touch with the City to request more bike racks in the area, including in Silk Street, and he has asked the Barbican Centre to support this request.

14.Plants and Planters on Cromwell Place

There are a number of issues with the planters on Cromwell Place. The big containers near the road are maintained by the BEO. The plants in the big planters dried out and looked in poor condition during the dry weather. Passers-by throw cans into these containers, treating them like rubbish bins.

Committee members asked Luke why these are in such poor condition, when the planting in big containers near Lauderdale is similar, but those are better cared for and look much healthier.  There are also healthy and cared-for plants on Silk Street and on Speed Highwalk.

The small containers directly outside the front doors are planted and maintained by Cromwell residents Julian Hale and Helen Likierman. Despite the dry weather, these small containers have colourful and flourishing displays.

Some people would like to see more planters in Cromwell Place, one in front of each pillar.

Luke will provide a watering schedule for the planters, so we understand why they dry out. He will also sort out who is responsible for removing rubbish from the planted containers.

Luke explained that if Cromwell residents want additional planters, then residents will have to pay for them. He will obtain prices, and find out if additional planters would be maintained by the BEO. He will also arrange for Paul Baldessari, the new Director of Open Spaces, to visit a meeting of the Garden Advisory Group. This is a Barbican-wide working party of the Residents Consultation Committee (RCC). They have already identified Cromwell Place as an area needing attention.

15.Art in the 01 Lobby

image007A new artist has just installed her work in the 01 Lift Lobby. She is Neelu Patel, who is the sister of Kalpesh, our porter. www.creativesneelu.com, and on Twitter @neelupatel1973.

Thank you to Alan Budgen, who organises this programme of art displays.

16.Freeview problems

There is a television freeview service provided by VFM. This service has had problems recently, reported by John Tomlinson at this meeting, and also by other residents of the estate on Barbicantalk. VFM have a contract with the BEO, but they have subcontracted service of this freeview operation to another company. This other company declares it will charge a call-out fee if the problem is found to be the ‘resident’s installation’. The situation when the problem is estate-wide seems to be unclear. In any case, VFM is not providing the service it was contracted to provide, and Luke will take this issue up with Mike Saunders.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8pm precisely, as people started to arrive for the Summer Party.